The team at Sanctuary Refugee Health Centre offers multiple services for community providers. We are available for formal consultation by health providers, either by fax (1-855-388-4437) or through OTN eConsults (after accessing this through OTNhub.ca, search for “Dr. Michael Stephenson” as the consultant). We welcome questions about various refugee health issues and challenges, be they mental health, screening for illness, translating or interpreting immunization records, assisting with services in the KW region, or anything else you struggle with.
We can also do in-office assessments upon request from health care providers or refugee lawyers. Please contact us to discuss the case. Some examples of situations in which you might refer patients to us:
– newly arrived refugees who need an initial screening examination
– diagnosis or treatment of illnesses that are uncommon in Canada, such a schistosomiasis, entamoeba, G6PD, etc.
– diagnosis and/or management of traumatic or transcultural mental health
– assessment of medication where brand names are unfamiliar
– assessment of medical documentation in other languages
– assistance with complex determinants of health needs
– interpretation of vaccine records
We are pleased to do a one-off assessment, with or without short follow-up, or take over care. Please specify what the goal of the referral is when contacting us.
We do not perform Immigration Medical Examinations. Please visit https://www.imemed.ca if a patient needs an IME in Waterloo Region.